Monday, September 24, 2007

They call it the Enterprise Room, man, because it's for people who wanna be beamed up to Scotty.

It was a shorter work day on Sunday, but not any less productive. I can see how practice and experience with the tools and the melamine makes every session more efficient.

J was poking fun at me, because during the last work session I was almost OCD about checking the underside (the side that will face outwards from the cabinet) to ensure that we hadn't drilled through the wood and perforated the outside edge. It got to the point where I was doing it with every screw.

We didn't have a lot of time to work with, so the goal was to be as productive as possible.

The goal for the evening was to finish the major cuts for the cabinet. We did complete that goal, although there are some finishing cuts that will need to be done.

What remains now is to attach the top, top back, back and front pieces to the cabinet. We'll need to finish the internal framing and attach the sides to the bottom, as well as attaching the casters to the bottom. There will also be some routing to do on the top back, lower back and front sections to accommodated the fans and coin door respectively.

I took a couple days off work (Tuesday and Wednesday) to recharge and get some painting done around the house. Tuesday and Wednesday evening J and I will focus on completing the cabinet assembly so I can put my energy towards the control panel.


A nice side view of the frame attached, as well as the shelving and top piece that will be installed.


What the side piece will look from the outside view.


Nice view of the marquee cuts. J is concerned about the angle but I think once it's assembled that nice sweeping angle is going to look great.


These boards will serve to mount the top of the cabinet as well as the speaker shelving.


Me hard at work measuring, measuring again. Starting over when I realized I measured incorrectly.


Keeping the Project Arcade book close at hand helps me to visualize the cabinet in 3 dimensions.


Measuring out 26" sections.


All the pieces cut, set against the wall so J can park his car in his garage.

No comments: